USA Career Training Visas - Information

Career Training Visa

Q. When can I apply for the Career Training Visa?

A. This visa is opened all year around. It does take on average 6 - 8 weeks to process

Q. Do I need to have a pre-arranged Job ?

A. Yes you do. Check out our section "Finding a Job" for more information on the type of Job that is required and help in finding it

Q. Do you need to have a degree to be eligible for the career visa ?
If you do not have a degree then you need to have more than 5 years professional experience in your career

Q. If I have 5 years experience in a trade, am I eligible ?

A. Yes for example if you work as an electrician for 5 years then you are eligible, please note the job you find in the US must be related to your work experience.You cannot just do labour work or general duties with this visa. You must show rotation and show how your job in the US is a career building job. Please contact Go4less if you want more information on this - 01 4350000 or

Q. For those with 5 years experience - how relevant does a job in the US need to be?

Employment should be relevant to placement. For example, if you are applying for a front desk placement in a hotel, you should be able to show some relevant types of previous positions for hotel work. This does not have to be strictly hotel work, but should be relevant.

Q. I completed my degree more than 2 years ago - can I still apply ?

A. Yes you can still apply. It does not matter how long ago you completed your degree.

Q. Am I allowed to take on a second Job ?

A. No this is not permitted.

Q. What is the age restriction?

A. The restriction is a bit more flexible than Summer work and travel visa. Generally it tends to be 18 - 40 age group. As long as you are eligible for the programme, we are open to ages outside of this range.

Q. If I have been on another type of visa is there a period of time I must spend outside of the US before starting a new visa ?

From Internship or Trainee to Trainee, you must be outside of the US for a minimum of 2 years. From Internship to Internship, you can do a back-to-back programme if eligible.

Q: Can the Trainee position be unpaid?

A: Internships or Trainee positions do not have to be paid. There are no regulations surrounding the issue of stipend or salary. In other words, as long as the Host Company and intern are in mutual agreement, an unpaid internship would be just fine and in compliance. In the case of an unpaid internship, Intrax would need financial documentation (bank account, letter from supporter, etc.) proving the intern has access to around $1000.00 per month while on program.

Q: What is a Stipend?

A: A stipend is a form of monetary payment or salary, such as for an internship or apprenticeship. Stipends are usually lower than what would be expected as a permanent salary for similar work. This is because the stipend is complemented by other benefits

Q: Can you have more than one Job within the year?

A: In regards to having 2 Internships within the same programme, we do not allow this. The US Department of State does not approve of Host Company replacements within the same programme. Therefore, all participants are required to stay at their Host Company unless pre-approved by Go4less and Intrax (layoffs, etc. are considered for replacement).

Q: Is Travel Insurance Compulsory?

A: Yes. The Go4less Insurance is an excellent policy as it is specifically designed with young travellers in mind. There is no free health service in the US and all medical care must be paid for. Medical care is very expensive in the USA, so we want to ensure that you are adequately covered. If you have a pre-existing condition please call the office for advice as you may require additional cover. When you receive the insurance policy, be sure to read the policy carefully so you know what is covered and what is not.

Q: What is the SEVIS fee?

A: SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System

SEVIS was implemented post 9/11 in order to allow the US Government to track the location of all participants on student exchange based programmes. The system is now fully implemented and the US Government has levied a fee to cover the administrative costs of the system. You must pay this fee in order to obtain your J1 visa from the US Embassy/Consulate. Go4less will arrange payment for you and will supply you with a SEVIS receipt (I-797 or I-901) with your DS-2019 before your appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate

Q: Do I need a Valid Passport at the time of application?

A: Yes you do. Your passport must also be valid for the length of time that you are in the US

Q: What is a DS 2019?

A: It is the 'Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-1 Status', which is the document that entitles you to apply for a J1 Visa. Go4less will arrange for your DS 2019 to be issued through our US Sponsor. You cannot get a J1 Visa without it