USA Internship Visa Information and FAQs, Unpaid Internships in America, Advice on Applying for American Intern Visas

USA Internship Visa

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When can I apply for the Internship Visa

A. This visa is opened all year around. It does take on average 6 - 8 weeks to process

Q: Can an Internship be unpaid?

A: Internships do not have to be paid. There are no regulations surrounding the issue of stipend or salary. In other words, as long as the Host Company and intern are in mutual agreement, an unpaid internship would be just fine and in compliance. In the case of an unpaid internship, Intrax would need financial documentation (bank account, letter from supporter, etc.) proving the intern has access to around $1000.00 per month while on program.

Q: What is a Stipend?

A: A stipend is a form of monetary payment or salary, such as for an internship or apprenticeship. Stipends are usually lower than what would be expected as a permanent salary for similar work. This is because the stipend is complemented by other benefits

Q: Can you have more than one Internship placement within the year?

A: In regards to having 2 Internships within the same program, we do not allow this. The US Department of State does not approve of Host Company replacements within the same program. Therefore, all participants are required to stay at their Host Company unless pre-approved by Intrax (layoffs, etc. are considered for replacement). However, if you stay with the same Host Company and begin receiving a stipend, that will be fine; you just can’t leave your original Host Company to pursue a salary

Q: Is Travel Insurance Compulsory?

A: Yes. The Go4less Insurance is an excellent policy as it is specifically designed with young travellers in mind. There is no free health service in the US and all medical care must be paid for. Medical care is very expensive in the USA, so we want to ensure that you are adequately covered. If you have a pre-existing condition please call the office for advice as you may require additional cover. When you receive the insurance policy leaflet, be sure to read the policy carefully so you know what is covered and what is not.

Q: Do I need to find a job before I arrive in the USA?

A: Yes this is mandatory for the Internship Visa

Q: What is the SEVIS fee? Do I have to pay it?

A: SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System SEVIS was implemented post 9/11 in order to allow the US Government to track the location of all participants on student exchange based programmes. The system is now fully implemented and the US Government has levied a fee to cover the administrative costs of the system. You must pay this fee in order to obtain your J1 visa from the US Embassy/Consulate. Go4less will arrange payment for you and will supply you with a SEVIS receipt (I-797 or I-901) with your DS-2019 before your appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate

Q: Do I need a Valid Passport at the time of application?

A: Yes you do. If travelling on an Irish Passport then your passport must also be valid for the length of time that you are in the US while on an Internship placement. If you are travelling on a non-Irish Passport then please contact Go4less for more information.

Q: What is a DS 2019?

A: It is the 'Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-1 Status', which is the document that entitles you to apply for a J1 Visa. Go4less will arrange for your DS 2019 to be issued through our US Sponsor's Intrax. You cannot get a J1 Visa without

Q: Who are Intrax?

Intrax Career Development is part of Intrax Cultural Exchange. Intrax Career Development is a leader in work-based cultural exchange programs in the United States and to date has over 25 years experience. As an official sponsor designated by the U.S. Department of State to administer the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa program, Intrax serves as the liaison between the participant and Go4less providing support and assistance with the documentation needed to obtain the J-1 visa.

Useful Information