US Working Visas for Students, 12 Month Visas to Work in the USA, American Work Visas Information

12 Month USA Work Visa

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How related to your field of study does your job have to be?

A: We are rather flexible when it comes to relating university studies with internship, as this program is designed for people who have no work experience necessarily. For example, if the applicant studied International Business and wanted to do a management Internship at a restaurant, we see this as being acceptable.

Q: Can you take travel breaks of a couple of months and then go back to working

A: Participants are welcome to take vacation with the company’s approval, but must limit that vacation time to less than 30 days per trip or time-off

Q: Are there specific dates you need to travel by

A: There are no specific dates they need to travel by, but they do need to qualify for the Internship program itself. The internship program qualifications are for post-secondary students or recent graduates of post-secondary institutions. So, if someone qualifies upon signing up for the Internship program, but chooses to travel outside of that 12 month requirement; they will no longer be eligible for the program.

Q: Are the rules about travelling to Canada and Mexico the same as on the J1

A: Yes, the same rule will apply. You will need to contact Intrax to get a document signed before travelling out-side of the US

Q: If you are doing a correspondence course are you eligible

A: Yes, this is just fine as long as the course itself is offered by a bona fide university in Ireland. The regulations do not discriminate as to the medium of the university or post-secondary program.

Q: When do I have to pay for the programme

A: You must pay at time of registration.

Q: Is Travel Insurance Compulsory

A: Yes. The Go4less Insurance is an excellent policy as it is specifically designed with young travellers in mind. There is no free health service in the US and all medical care must be paid for. Medical care is very expensive in the USA, so we want to ensure that you are adequately covered. If you have a pre-existing condition please call the office for advice as you may require additional cover. When you receive the insurance policy leaflet, be sure to read the policy carefully so you know what is covered and what is not.

Q: Do I need to find a job before I arrive in the USA

A: No, but we do strongly recommend that you actively seek employment leads before you depart for the USA.

Q: What is the SEVIS fee? Do I have to pay it

A: SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System SEVIS was implemented post 9/11 in order to allow the US Government to track the location of all participants on student exchange based programmes, including the New 12 Month USA Work Programme. The system is now fully implemented and the US Government has levied a fee to cover the administrative costs of the system. You must pay this fee in order to obtain your J1 visa from the US Embassy/Consulate. Go4less will arrange payment for you and will supply you with a SEVIS receipt (I-797 or I-901) with your DS-2019 before your appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate

Q: Can an Internship be unpaid

A: Internships do not have to be paid. There are no regulations surrounding the issue of stipend or salary. In other words, as long as the Host Company and intern are in mutual agreement, an unpaid internship would be just fine and in compliance. In the case of an unpaid internship, Intrax would need financial documentation (bank account, letter from supporter, etc.) proving the intern has access to around $1000.00 per month while on program.

Q: Do I need to work a minimum amount of hours a week?

A: Yes you need to work a minimum of 32 hours a week and your job must show a rotation of duties.

Q: What is a Stipend

A: A stipend is a form of monetary payment or salary, such as for an internship or apprenticeship. Stipends are usually lower than what would be expected as a permanent salary for similar work. This is because the stipend is complemented by other benefits such as accreditation, instruction, food and/ or accommodation

Q: Do I need a Valid Passport at the time of application?

A: Yes you do. Your passport must also be valid for the length of time that you are in the US

Q: What is a DS 2019

A: It is the 'Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-1 Status', which is the document that entitles you to apply for a J1 Visa. Go4less will arrange for your DS 2019 to be issued through our US Sponsor's Intrax. You cannot get a J1 Visa without a DS 2019. You must have both a valid J1 Visa and a valid DS 2019

Q: What is the maximum amount of time I can spend on this programme

A: Your Internship visa is valid for 12 months only. You are allowed to stay 30 days after your visa ends but you are NOT permitted to during the 30 days after your visa expires

Q: Can I travel on a one-way flight

A: Yes you can. All flights must be booked through Go4less thou. For more information on flights please ring 01 435 00 00

Q: Is social work or teaching permitted on the 12 Month USA Work Programme

A: Any type of therapy, teaching or medical internships are not allowed. The intern can observe and assist in some cases (mainly teaching but not medical or physical therapy), but can never be the direct source. Therefore, no type of nursing whatsoever, massage therapist, elementary school teacher, etc

Q: Is labour work permitted on the 12 Month USA Work Programme

A: No, any type of labour work is not permitted unless you are going over to work as a supervisor on a construction site. In this case we would need to speak with the company prior to placement and confirm exactly what that title entails

Q: I studied Hospitality in college. Can I work within this field while on the 12 Month USA Work Programme

A: Students who have studied hospitality are free to pursue internships within that field. However this visa is not the correct visa for someone looking to bartend for a few months in the US The Internship should be a career-building experience that is relevant to your studies. Eligibility for Hospitality Internship will be determined on a case-by-case basis

Q: I am doing a Masters course as the moment. Do I qualify?

A: Yes you do. Please contact go4less for more information.

Useful Information: